Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Brief Butterfly Interlude

So Iguazu Falls was pretty incredible. But before I post about that…I took enough butterfly pictures to warrant its own post. I am not sure why there were so many butterflies at the falls. It might be that this was a standard tropical sampling of butterflies, or the mist of the falls might create a higher diversity of plants that require butterfly symbiotes. But I have never seen so many. This is only a small sample.



This one looked like a leaf and traveled around on Guillermo's hat for several minutes. It was very cool, though I can't say much for its taste in hats.








And I saw this enormous moth at my hotel, but it kind of fit the Lepidopteran theme.


2 comments:

  1. great collection! what amazing biodiversity, and it never fails to surprise me to see some "local" species , or cousins thereof, in foreign climes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right? Biogeography is so sublimely (sp?) puzzeling to me. I love it.

    ReplyDelete